ValuJet Order: What's Difference MD-95 and DC9-50?

From:         wjcandee@netcom.com (Bill Candee)
Date:         20 Oct 1995 11:13:02 -0700
Followups:    1 2 3 4

        Now that ValuJet has ordered the MD-95 with RR/BMW engines
(Wall St. Journal, today), I am wondering how good a decision this is
on their part.  I am happy to see Douglas get some work, but isn't the
MD-95 really just a DC9-50 (DC-9 wing, long fuselage).  As an Austrian
Airlines captain [and former DC9-50 driver] explained here recently,
the DC9-50 was a crutty plane to fly (no more than 10 degree bank at
altitude, or it would buffet, world's longest takeoff and landing run,
blown tires).

        Does anybody know whether Douglas has done anything to make the
MD-95 a well-handling plane?  I usually feel safer when I know that the
pilot doesn't have to fight the plane (a sparsely-loaded 757 is a blast
to fly in, for example, because it is so overpowered and maneuverable).

--Bill