Re: The B737-900 is launched by Alaska's order

From:         mweber@t140.aone.net.au (James Matthew Weber)
Date:         12 Nov 1997 16:31:03 -0500

On 11 Nov 1997 23:16:59 GMT, Chuanga@cris.com (H Andrew Chuang) wrote:

>In article <w3200ne0c8.fsf@rocza.kei.com>,
>Joseph Edward Nemec  <see@above.edu> wrote:
>>H Andrew Chuang wrote:

>>> Alaska has placed an order of 10 B737-900s and became the launch
>>> customer of the longest B737.  For details, see Boeing's news
>>> release:

>>> <http://www.boeing.com/news/releases/1997/news_release_971110b.html>

>>I noticed that the B737-900 is the largest of the 737s, but Boeing
>>reports that the passenger capacity for the planes
>>that Alaska Airways has ordered is 177 pax, as opposed to the
>>180+ for the B737-800. What's going on? Is the -900 a particularly
>>long-range aircraft, or is Alaska Airways going for some sort of
>>premium seating?

The -800 has been sold to low cost european operators and tour
operators, who generally operate single class (sardine class) service.
Alaska operates two classes. I suspect the high figures for the -800
are based upon 30-31 inch seat pitch. Alaska has a 40 inch seat pitch
up front, and probably about 33 inches down the back. Add space for a
bulkhead between the two cabins, and you have eaten up the entire
stretch of the airframe. (4 rows  x 9 inches in front, 36 inches +  25
rows x 3 inches = 114 inches    9+ feet)

Another poster has pointed out the current regulations involving
emergency exits prevent you from getting a lot more seats anyway.