Re: Singapore picks the A340-500 over the 777-200X

From:         "Thomas A. Beckley" <beckley@sprintmail.com>
Date:         09 Jun 1998 13:11:39 -0400

>Boeing is supposedly still experiencing delivery problems. (Not sure if
>this affects the 777 line). Could this not be an important factor in an
>airline making a decision against a Boeing product ?

>Has Boeing lost credibility in making delivery promises ?

>I am not an airline, but if I were, I would be cautious about any
>delivery promises made by Boeing in the short term, especially for a
>plane that is not yet in production. Hence, by being "realistic" about
>real deliveries one could expect, the 777 product may not fit an
>airline's needs and hence the airline would go for the equivalent Airbus
>product.

>Is that a fair assumption ?

The production problems are primarily plaguing the 737 production line,
though I think all the lines have been affected to a lesser extent, but I
don't believe that its affected deliveries other than 737's.

Actually, someone lookint to get their hands on 777's or 747's and possibly
even 767's might be in a good position because of the Asian financila woes.
There are probably several carriers there who might be willing to sell some
of their delivery slots ...