Re: Inertial Navigation ???

From:         Don Stauffer <stauffer@gte.net>
Date:         10 Mar 2000 10:10:41 -0800

Ed McBride wrote:

> But I keep hearing that people take off in an airplane, fly across
> country, and know where they are within a foot or so.  The only
> explanation I can come up with is that these airplanes must be
> "re-zeroing" rather often.

People flying across the country and knowing where they are to the
nearest foot are not using inertial nav.  One nm error per hour of
flight used to be norm.  With best units today, maybe ten times
better.  That is a LONG way from a foot after three or four hours.

Even so, even a nm/hr unit is going to cost you far more than $2000 a
copy.

--
Don Stauffer in Minneapolis
stauffer@gte.net