Re: Inertial Navigation ???

From:         westin*nospam@graphics.cornell.edu (Stephen H. Westin)
Date:         26 Apr 2000 11:30:47 -0700

inet@intellisys.net (brian whatcott) writes:

<snip>

> Well, well. This dead reckoning suggestion of Paul's took me back a
> few years to a visit I made to the Dublin Bus Company.
>
> They adopted a very forward looking scheme in the 70's to monitor
> public transport buses in their system in real time - with a radio
> link at a control center with traffic displays.
>
> Before GPS and the like were a viable choice, they were using bus
> wheel counters to transmit progressive position reports with lamp post
> mounted interrogators to keep the drift in bounds.

I believe Etak was founded on the basis of similar technology: compass
and wheel rotation for dead-reckoning automotive navigation. At one
point, GM bought a chunk of the company, I think. Apparently they
digitized lots of map data, which forms the core of the business
today. They are apparently owned by Sony.

--
-Stephen H. Westin