Re: Wing section and angle of incidence

From:         luisma@ic.vel.indra.es
Date:         Tue, 7 Apr 1998 03:49:51 GMT

In article <rddEqvJ7w.72q@netcom.com>,
  Al Gerharter <agerhart@teleport.com> wrote:
>    No, I don't know of any commercial airliners using symetrical airfoils.
Yes,
>the naca sections are undoubtedly available, but I can't help you there. The
>manufacturer may have specif data available.

I would recommend those URLs:

http://atemi.aa.nps.navy.mil/panel.html
http://www.maths.adelaide.edu.au/Applied/llazausk/aero/foil/foil.htm
http://opus.aae.uiuc.edu/~selig/ads/coord_database.html

>second:
>    This is the part I wanted to answer. Yes the wing is set at an angle of
>incidence
>to the fuselage. The root of the wing has a much greater angle of incidence
than
>does the tip. Called washout, it is the change in angle of incidence(or in
flight,
>AoA)

There is a subtle difference between AoA and angle of incidence. The angle of
incidence is purely geometrical, it depends on how the sections are
constructed.
The AoA is aerodynamical, meaning that the downwash induced by the adjacent
sections have some influence (and also the angle of incidence) to determine
the
AoA for a specific section.

>between the root and the tip. This loads most of the lift next to the root
where
>it
>can be supported, and where the rest of the wing acts as a "fence" or winglet
>minimize the vortices produced by producing lift. The angle of attack shown
in
>the cockpit, excuse me, 'Flight Deck', are an indication of the 'mean' AoA.

It is usually measured in the fuselage. It is only useful as a reference.