Re: 707 : How did it get its name ?

From:         faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure)
Date:         Mon, 12 Jan 1998 07:04:59 GMT

In article <rddEM69wC.13B@netcom.com>, oberoi@emirates.net.ae wrote:

> > A friend of mine came across an interesting reason for how the Boeing
> > 707 series got the name - 707 :
> >
> > It seems that the wing angles of the Boeing 707, were 45 degrees.
> > The values of the trignometric functions, sine and cosine at 45
> > degrees are equal - of the value = 1 / sqrt(2) = 0 . 7 0 7
> > Hence the name ?
> >
> > Is this the real reason, or merely a coincidence ?

It's a coincidence.  Boeing products fall into numbered categories.  I
believe 500-series products and 600-series products were military related;
in fact, I think the 600-series was used for unmanned missiles or gas
turbine engines but I may be wrong on that.  When the commercial jet
transport project was undertaken, the next unused number series was 700.
In fact, the 707 originally was going to be called the Boeing 700, but the
company's ad agency thought 707 had a better ring to it.

C. Marin Faure
  author, Flying A Floatplane