Re: Smoke generator

From:         gfoley@freenet.columbus.oh.us (Gerard Foley)
Date:         Mon, 15 Sep 1997 13:44:43 GMT

Natural Born Cereal Killer (viking@probe.net) wrote:

[snip]

: 	While a good idea, for excellent smoke I recommend a mixture
: of potassium nitrate (saltpeter, available at any druggist) and sugar,
: mixed in a 60/40 mix respectively.  Heat over a low flame in a pan
: of some sort, then peel it out and stuff into your smoke generator case.
: A pound of this stuff will cover a square block with smoke and, as
: I discovered, burns for quite a long time.

: 	As a side note, if the saltpeter concentration is too high it
: will burn rather hot and melt aluminum containers.  Experiment a bit
: to ensure the mix is right for your application.

   This sounds fairly close to gunpowder.  Be appropriately cautios
in the amounts you experiment with and the physical conditions
(powdered sugar could behave differently from granulated).

--
Gerry