Re: B747SP simulators/training

From:         mikeh@zeta.org.au (Michael Hore)
Date:         Wed, 12 Mar 1997 05:14:25 GMT

eirikur@ix.netcom.com (Ptolomy) writes:

>From what I understand (I am not an engineer or anything),
>the tail was heightened to compensate for reduced moment arm
>and increase the surface area of the vertical stab.  This would help
>to offset the reduced lateral stability  caused by the shortened
>fusilage. This made the aircraft handle much like its big brother.  As
>far as the rest of the aircraft goes,  almost all of the systems are
>the same.  The flight deck is identical to the -100 and -300 models.
>The wings are also the same, with the exception of an inboard
>flap modification.

The flaps are actually completely different - the extra performance
margins available meant that a lot of weight was saved by dispensing
with the complicated triple-slotted tracked TE flap system used on
other 747s, and instead using a much simpler and lighter quadrilateral
link arrangement.

Also the 1 deg and 5 deg settings leave the TE flaps retracted, and
just operate the LE devices.

The intention was to keep the various reference speeds for different
flap settings as similar as possible to the regular 747, though
there are inevitably some differences as Ted Landy pointed out.

(I'm not an engineer either - I just ask a lot of questions  :-)

Cheers,  Mike.

Mike Hore          mikeh@zeta.org.au