Re: Propeller Blade Temperature

From:         tschell@s.psych.uiuc.edu (Terry Schell)
Date:         Fri, 27 Dec 1996 06:42:58 GMT

rparpatt@uniserve.com (Thundercraft) writes:
<snip>
>With these two thoughts in mind, I would say that the blade temperature would
>be pretty low.  Probably ambient temperature.  Remember, the bigger the prop,
>the slower they turn.  No heating up the surfaces from friction heating.

You mean slower expressed in terms of RPM, not necessarily in terms of
actual airspeed.  The friction heating of a large prop may very well
be greater.

There can also be compression heating if the tips are above mach .8 or
so.  My guess is that both of these sources amount to very little
change from ambient.

Terry