Re: Inert Gas in Fuel Tanks

From:         dickpilz@teleport.com (Dick Pilz)
Date:         Wed, 20 Nov 1996 03:03:21 GMT

In article <rddE0HJvC.1pG@netcom.com> Malcolm Weir <malc@deltanet.com> writes:

>Woodhams wrote:

>The three basic options are liquification and subsequent fractional
>distillation (most effective), chemical O2 absorbtion (OK, but what if
>the O2 scrubber wears out, letting un-scrubbed air into the system?),
>or molecular sieves (which are slow, but used on the F16 to collect
>O2).

>My bet would be distillation, particularly if you can grab air from
>outside at a low ambient temperature.

Nah, they probably use a pressure filter (may bundles of hollow tubes)
like those used for desalination. You can buy one to nitrogen
pressurize beer dispensation for less than $2K (prevents gassy beer in
taverns) and it is about the size of a bread box.

Dick Pilz                           | Back up my hard drive?!?
CNE, ME                             | I can't find the reverse switch!