Re: Cost of Weight - was Inert Gas in Fuel Tanks

From:         Chris Williams <chrisw@netinfo.com.au>
Date:         Wed, 20 Nov 1996 03:01:10 GMT

The sci.aeronautics moderator wrote:

> >Since airliners aren't falling out of the sky with great regularity
> >because the ullage isn't filled with inert gas, I'd say that it's not
> >likely to happen.  Maybe someone would like to ask the FAA, NTSB, and
> >major airlines what their criterion (price per life) is?  Also ask the

I believe the limitation of liability for loss of life is in the the
order of $50 000.   Is this the value of a human life?

[Sci.aeronautics moderator's note: That's the maximum that the airline
has to pay your survivors if they kill you, per the Warsaw Agreement
signed in 1929.  That is, it's the 1929 upper limit.  (Incidentally,
it's payable in gold.)  However, that's not the cost currently used to
compute the cost-effectiveness of a safety modification.  That cost is
much higher.

Airline passengers should know that $50,000 is the maximum that is
required by many signatories to the Agreement and that survivors
cannot, except in a few Western countries, sue for more.  The same is
true of the limits set on luggage values.  The Convention is up for
re-negotiation, incidentally, and these limits will probably rise.
MFS]