Re: Cost of Weight - was Inert Gas in Fuel Tanks

From:         rickydik@ix.netcom.com (RD Rick)
Date:         Thu, 7 Nov 1996 05:48:49 GMT

The sci.aeronautics moderator wrote:

>Since airliners aren't falling out of the sky with great regularity
>because the ullage isn't filled with inert gas, I'd say that it's not
>likely to happen.  Maybe someone would like to ask the FAA, NTSB, and
>major airlines what their criterion (price per life) is?  Also ask the
>airlines how much money they're saving on those plastic bottles, of
>course.  MFS]

I've heard a $Million for a life.  We will someday be able to add the
totals on VJ and TW800.  :(

After the fuel crises of the seventies, it was estimated that it cost
$25 to carry a pound for a year in an airliner.  Due to certain fixed
costs, it would cost less to carry that pound in a big long range
plane than in a light twin such as a DC-9.

RD