Re: Wing vs. tail-mounted engines?

Date:         31 Mar 2001 16:43:11
From:         Mad Monks <terence@notmail.com>

Daniele Procida <{$usenet$}@apple-juice.co.uk> wrote:
>As someone who is scared out of his wits by aeroplanes, I much prefer
>MD-80s and the like, because the sight of those enormous heavy engines
>making those delicate wings bend up and down in that terrifying fashion
>is something I can really do without. At least on a MD-80 I don't spend
>the entire flight checking to see if the wings are going fall off.

The wing mounted engines are there because it makes for easier
lengthening and shortening of the a/c.  The chief engineer for the 747
pushed through the wing-mounted engine for the 737 so that the a/c
could be better balanced and also lengthened (so we now have a/c as
short as the 737-500 and as long as the -900).  A tail-mounted engine
would have limited this flexiblity.