Re: Wing vs. tail-mounted engines?

Date:         27 Mar 2001 16:05:15
From:         {$usenet$}@apple-juice.co.uk (Daniele Procida)
Followups:    1 2 3 4 5 6

Wolfgang Keller <w_keller@gmx.de> wrote:

> as a passenger, I've always preferred aircraft with tail-mounted engines
> (German BA's F100, for example) over those with wing-mounted engines like
> the 737 - because they are usually less noisy, because I felt a lot more
> safe with those burning chambers far behind me, away from the ground and
> from the fuel tanks (not that flying makes me frightened)

As someone who is scared out of his wits by aeroplanes, I much prefer
MD-80s and the like, because the sight of those enormous heavy engines
making those delicate wings bend up and down in that terrifying fashion
is something I can really do without. At least on a MD-80 I don't spend
the entire flight checking to see if the wings are going fall off.

Instead I worry about an uncontained blade failure ripping into the
fuselage or destroying the tailplane.

Daniele
--
Apple Juice   Macintosh service, support & sales   Cardiff 029 2041 0050
drink.different@apple-juice.co.uk                  www.apple-juice.co.uk