Re: Landing lights question

Date:         18 Mar 2001 12:06:19
From:         Tobias Schnell <Tobias.Schnell@gmx.de>

On 16 Mar 2001 05:56:20 , "Jeff" <jcbowen.nospam@home.com> wrote:
>At what point to landing lights get turned on and why at that point?>
>I saw airliners approaching Pearson airport the other evening here in
>Toronto and they had lights on quite some time prior to landing and I
>wondered why so early since they can't serve much purpose until they are
>right over the runway.

Normally they are switched on somewhere during descend, between 5000
and 10000 ft. The purpose is to make the aircraft more visible for
other aircraft in the vicinity of airports, where traffic is usually
dense. They are also supposed to help in preventing birdstrikes.

These are the reasons why they are also used during daytime.

Tobias