Re: Gurney Flaps

Date:         17 Mar 2001 08:33:34
From:         RWM <RWM@RWMann.com>

Ali Hegazi wrote:

> I am currently conducting studies into the effectiveness of gurney flaps
> as high lift devices on swept wings in particular... I would greatly
> appreciate any information about this topic or on gurney flaps in
> general, that anyone might have...

Most use of these sorts of "tuning" devices (Gurney, Liebeck, etc.) are
in low Reynolds Number applications, sailplanes, wind turbines and high
performance automotive, i.e. F1 and prototype sports cars.

A predecessor and close relative is Douglas' trailing edge wedge, which
was used on the MD11 among others.

- Bob Mann
--
R.W. Mann & Company, Inc.  > Airline Industry Analysis and Consulting
Port Washington, NY  11050 > tel 516-944-0900, fax 516-944-7280