Re: High wing vs. low wing

Date:         16 May 2001 17:45:20
From:         Matt Maurano <maurano@GARBAGEuclink.berkley.edu>

On 19 Apr 2001 16:40:17 , JP Caputa <jcaputa@engr.uvic.ca> wrote:

>Why is it that all commercial airliners, aside from perhaps turbo-prop
>feeder liners and the BAe 146 are low winged, where as most military
>cargo planes are high winged. Both types of aircravet serve very similar
>roles, and travel over similar ranges.

I seem to recall the following: Passenger jets always land on a
prepared tarmac. Some military cargo jets have the requirement to land
in less prepared areas which might have bushes or something sticking
out of the ground. The high wing allows greater clearance. I also
think it is structurally easier to put the wing down low.
--
Remove "GARBAGE" to send email