Re: Air France Concorde crashes after departing Paris CDG

Date:         19 Apr 2001 16:40:14
From:         westin*nospam@graphics.cornell.edu (Stephen H. Westin)

"Doug Holik" <drholik@prodigy.net> writes:

> "Jeremy Harris [RU-UK]" <jgh@uk.sun.com> wrote in message
> > In article <airliners.2001.78@ditka.chicago.com>,
> > FilipPC.DeVos@rug.ac.be (Filip De Vos) writes:
> > > Part of that drag is the rudder, deflected to compensate for the
> > > assymetric thrust. So my question is, is it possible to make a climbing
> > > turn at a lower speed than 275kt? (turning towards the dead engines)
>
> > Uh, to first order, planes don't turn thanks to the rudder, but thanks
> > to having been banked.
>
> Actually they do turn because of the rudder, why do you think its there?

To keep things pointing in the right direction. The Wright brothers
developed a glider that would turn by warping the wings: one wing went
up, the other down, and the lift vector would make the aircraft
turn. Unfortunately, the high-lift wing would also have increased
drag, so the whole plane would yaw back the wrong way. They fixed this
problem by adding vertical fins at the rear, first fixed ones and
finally the rudder we know today.

So banking is what makes the plane turn (i.e. accelerates it off of a
straight path), but the rudder keeps it pointed in the right
direction.

<snip>

--
-Stephen H. Westin