Re: Boeing's Sonic Cruiser

Date:         09 Apr 2001 15:37:15
From:         don@news.daedalus.co.nz (Don Stokes)

In article <airliners.2001.83@ditka.Chicago.COM>,
Damon Hill <damon@halcyon.com> wrote:
>Will it fly?  Will the airlines buy?  I hope so!  Commercial
>aircraft design has been SO boring for the past couple of
>decades.
>
>How fast WILL it go?  It already looks supersonic, with the right
>engines.
>
>http://www.boeing.com/news/feature/concept/

Doesn't look supersonic to me.  Note:

- Large engine pods to house high-bypass engines -- not efficient for
  supersonic cruise

- Decidedly sub-sonic looking nose section

- Large canards -- the Tu-144 used (smaller) canards to keep the nose up
  at low speed, but retracted them for supersonic flight.

Also note that the painting looks heavily area-ruled, and I suspect the
fuselage would provide significant lift -- it appears to have a low floor
although it's hard to tell from the published painting.  That would move
the centre of lift further forward than would appear from just looking
at the wing planform.

Does anyone else think it looks like a grown-up version of the Starship?

-- don