Re: Wing vs. tail-mounted engines?

Date:         09 Apr 2001 15:37:00
From:         "Doug Holik" <drholik@prodigy.net>

"RF-X" <no@spam.com> wrote in message
news:airliners.2001.117@ditka.Chicago.COM...
> In article <airliners.2001.95@ditka.Chicago.COM>,
> robinjohnson@bigfoot.com wrote:
>
> > I'm a little concerned about the dynamics of a ditching with
> > underslung engines, though.  The Ethiopian 767 off the Comores,
> > although a hijack situation with armed men on the flightdeck, looked
> > good on the video until the last minute, when it seemed that the
> > engines dug in asymmetrically, causing the fuselage to break up.
> > Does anyone know of a successful ditching by a jet?
> > I would feel safer in a rear-engined model.
>
> I was under the impression that jets with underslung engines had a
> method of jettisoning said engines in a ditch scenario, and this wasn't

Not sure where you heard that but there is no way to jettison the engines.
Some commercial aircraft, notably the MD-11 feature a "ditching" switch.
All this switch does is close up the holes on the skin of the aircraft, APU
Ports, Outflow Valve, etc...
A means to jettison the engines does not sound like a good idea anyway, what
if someone accidentally pressed the wrong button?

Doug Holik