Re: Air France Concorde crashes after departing Paris CDG

Date:         09 Apr 2001 15:36:59
From:         "Doug Holik" <drholik@prodigy.net>
Followups:    1 2 3

"Jeremy Harris [RU-UK]" <jgh@uk.sun.com> wrote in message
news:airliners.2001.112@ditka.Chicago.COM...
> In article <airliners.2001.78@ditka.chicago.com>,
> FilipPC.DeVos@rug.ac.be (Filip De Vos) writes:
> > Part of that drag is the rudder, deflected to compensate for the
> > assymetric thrust. So my question is, is it possible to make a climbing
> > turn at a lower speed than 275kt? (turning towards the dead engines)

> Uh, to first order, planes don't turn thanks to the rudder, but thanks
> to having been banked.

Actually they do turn because of the rudder, why do you think its there?
Ordinarrily you are correct, commercial aircraft turn primarily through
banking, but, only because it is an uncomfortable sensation for the
passengers if a plane turns through use of the rudder.  To them the plane
feels like it is sliding back and forth.  The ruder is always used to make
turns though.  It is merely used in conjunction with a degree of bank in
order to make the passengers more comfortable.  In an assymetrical thrust
situation the rudder would be dialed to a pre-determined setting to account
for the missing engine thrust.  The worst possible case is to be left with
only engines on one side of the aircraft, then you would need almost full
turn to be dialed in on the rudder.  If you have ever felt the pilots make a
turn with the rudder it is a most uncomfortable feeling... it is easy to see
why the airlines try to avoid it.

Doug Holik