Re: Air France Concorde crashes after departing Paris CDG

Date:         16 Mar 2001 05:56:28
From:         ebarber <ebarber@wombat.eng.fsu.edu>

On 25 Jul 2000, Helen Rose wrote:

> Helen Rose <hrose-post@ckdhr.com> writes:
>
> > An Air France Concorde (unknown registration number) crashed after
> > departing Paris CDG en route to New York Kennedy.
>
> F-BTSC, serial number 3 (unclear whether that's LN or MSN), which was
> delivered in 1979. It had 3978 cycles and 11989 hours.
>
> The last C check was performed April 28, 2000.
>
> This plane was not found to have the microscopic cracks found on other
> AF Concordes and BA Concordes.
>
> --Helen

Some of the reports I saw said that the cracks being found in the Concorde
wings were 2.0 inches in length.  And that one day prior to the crash
another Concorde was ground because the crack had grew to 2.6 inches.  I
personally believe the Concorde's days are soon to be
numbered.  Authorities are still deeming the planes to be safe (even with
cracks) and operation, even into the year 2007.  But please tell me how
safe can a vehicle be if you are constantly using 25 year old parts off of
planes which are NOT operational, to keep the rest of your fleet in the
air.

And though not as technical as many sites, USATODAY.com usually provides a
good quick reference of facts on events such as this.

--Ebarber

P.S.
Where is the HSCT when you need it?