Re: Long-distance direct flights

Date:         04 Apr 2001 16:41:30
From:         gbeaman@pei.sympatico.ca (Gord Beaman)

>On 23 Mar 2001 17:40:12 , robinjohnson@bigfoot.com (Robin Johnson)
>wrote:

>>The longest flight stages at present operated by scheduled airlines
>>run about 15 hours, at which range payload is limited.  Where
>>practicable, aircraft configurations biased towards premium fares are
>>used.  This will probably still be true when 18-hour stages start, if
>>they do, in a few years.  London-Perth might be one such, or New
>>York-Singapore.  Aircrew rest positions away from the main deck are
>>being on the drawing boards - they already exist on some 747-400s.

I'd think that 'if' is the operative word here...I flew for many
years in Maritime Patrol Aviation where our average Long Range
Patrol was around 18-20 hours and I can tell you that having
extra crew available doesn't do much to alleviate fatigue.

Even though you get used to sleeping in short bursts (couple of
hours at a time) you're nearly as tired as if you had worked
straight through. Personally, I think that I'd get somewhat
apprehensive as a passenger on an airline flight of over about 12
hours.