Re: Wing vs. tail-mounted engines?

Date:         04 Apr 2001 16:41:20
From:         RF-X <no@spam.com>

In article <airliners.2001.95@ditka.Chicago.COM>,
robinjohnson@bigfoot.com wrote:

> I'm a little concerned about the dynamics of a ditching with
> underslung engines, though.  The Ethiopian 767 off the Comores,
> although a hijack situation with armed men on the flightdeck, looked
> good on the video until the last minute, when it seemed that the
> engines dug in asymmetrically, causing the fuselage to break up.
> Does anyone know of a successful ditching by a jet?
> I would feel safer in a rear-engined model.

I was under the impression that jets with underslung engines had a
method of jettisoning said engines in a ditch scenario, and this wasn't
employed in the Ethiopian 767 due to the hijackers' complete ignorance
of their situation - insufficient fuel for post-hijack voyage,
incomplete understanding of commercial flight realities, not to mention
rejection of the ditch inevitability, etc...