Re: Boeing's Sonic Cruiser

Date:         04 Apr 2001 16:41:16
From:         johnmcgrew@aol.com (JohnMcGrew)

In article <airliners.2001.83@ditka.Chicago.COM>, damon@halcyon.com (Damon
Hill) writes:

>Will it fly?  Will the airlines buy?  I hope so!  Commercial
>aircraft design has been SO boring for the past couple of
>decades.

That's a tough call.  The real quesion will be if the economics make it
worthwhile.

Perhaps it will find a niche on international routes of flight times more than
7 or 8 hours.  It's pretty much a foregone conclusion that the Concorde isn't
going to be with us much longer.

However, I doubt that airlines will be interested in using it domestically.
Considering that airport congestion now consumes at least 20 minutes of every
flight, a mere 10% increase in speed in the air isn't going to get pax anywhere
that much faster.
John