Re: Boeing's Sonic Cruiser

Date:         04 Apr 2001 16:41:14
From:         westin*nospam@graphics.cornell.edu (Stephen H. Westin)

damon@halcyon.com (Damon Hill) writes:

> Will it fly?  Will the airlines buy?  I hope so!  Commercial
> aircraft design has been SO boring for the past couple of
> decades.
>
> How fast WILL it go?  It already looks supersonic, with the right
> engines.
>
> http://www.boeing.com/news/feature/concept/

Humph. "faster, higher, farther flight than any current airplane"?

I suppose if you demand the range, then that's true. Concorde, of
course, is faster and flies higher.

I think they're talking about a transsonic aircraft, which has
certainly been suggested before. Far less demanding than Mach 2 or so,
and more likely to meet noise and pollution requirements. Not to
mention easier on fuel, cheaper to build, etc.

The "fact sheet" seems pretty shour on facts; this is obviously a
blue-sky concept.

But not a bad one...

--
-Stephen H. Westin