Re: Wing vs. tail-mounted engines?

Date:         04 Apr 2001 16:41:05
From:         Eric  Hagerstrom <eric@hagerstrom.com>

On 31 Mar 2001 16:43:19 , robinjohnson@bigfoot.com (Robin Johnson)
wrote:

>On 23 Mar 2001 17:40:08 , Wolfgang Keller <w_keller@gmx.de> told us:
>
>Engines these days are very reliable.  It is not unknown for an engine
>to remain in position for five years.
>On the other hand, more and more ETOPS flights are being undertaken -
>the majority of North Atlantic crossings for example. Despite this,
>there have been very few ditchings.

Well, actually no ETOPS flight has ever ditched. The Ethopian ditched
while struggling with a hijacker in the vcockpit, certaily not because
of ETOPS operations.

>Just this month a United 767 on the climb-out from Lihue and bound for
>California, had a loss of power on both engines.  No harm done,
>but.....
>I'm a little concerned about the dynamics of a ditching with
>underslung engines, though.  The Ethiopian 767 off the Comores,
>although a hijack situation with armed men on the flightdeck, looked
>good on the video until the last minute, when it seemed that the
>engines dug in asymmetrically, causing the fuselage to break up.
>Does anyone know of a successful ditching by a jet?

13 January 1969, An SAS DC8-62 (four-engines under the wing) ditched
in the ocean off Los Angeles (apparently after running out of fuel).
15 fatalities. I don't recall how many were aboard but the aircraft
stayed afloat for hours.