Re: Split Elevator?

Date:         10 Feb 2000 05:03:20
From:         "Thomasson, Sonja K" <anders.thomasson@upplandsvasby.mail.telia.com>

Barry Kabello wrote:
> I've seen several airliners taxiing around with the elevator on one side
> down and the other up, or neutral, etc...in other words, they seem to move
> independent of each other.  I was baffled to recently hear that each pilot
> has independant linkage to their own elevator.  If this is true, do split
> rudders work the same way?  Anything other split controls?  Exclusive to
> Boeing?

On Dc-9 and MD80 it could happend because of the wind during groundstop
or taxi.

The elevators are free and are controlled by a control tab from both
pilots, if one side is stuck they can operate the control tab from the
other side.  In the cockpit, their is a torque tube under the floor
witch the pilot could overide in case of one system is stuck.

Split Rudder means that the rudder is operated from diff hydraulic
systems.

Anders