Re: Split Elevator?

Date:         10 Feb 2000 05:03:18
From:         "jtarver" <jtarver@tminet.com>

Barry Kabello <bkabello@gte.net> wrote in message <airliners.2000.70@ohare.Chicago.COM> ...
> I've seen several airliners taxiing around with the elevator on one side
> down and the other up, or neutral, etc...in other words, they seem to move
> independent of each other.  I was baffled to recently hear that each pilot
> has independant linkage to their own elevator.  If this is true, do split
> rudders work the same way?  Anything other split controls?  Exclusive to
> Boeing?

The split elevator design on the Boeing 767 airplane is a means of
compliance with a CFR 14 Part 25 requirement.  Some sort of redundancy
is the rule for aircraft controls and instrumentation.

With the elevators split due to a rigging jam one of the elevators would
be expected to remain neutral and the other would provide sufficient
elevator control for level flight.  Some roll moment would need to be
cancelled with ailerons.

John