Re: Good 'ole 727

Date:         10 Feb 2000 05:03:17
From:         David Lednicer <dave@amiwest.com>

Richard Isakson wrote:
> It couldn't meet stage three noise requirements

So it seemed, but Raisbeck has managed to get light and medium weight
727s to meet Stage 3 with simple changes to the flap and slat
schedules.  For heavier weight 727s, exhaust mixers must be added, but
the aircraft still meets Stage 3.

> There was no way to keep the wing wake out of the engine inlets and,
> on a high by-pass engine, that caused a compressor stall.

So it would seem, but Douglas managed to get V2500s to work on the MD90
(V2500s and CFM56s were the engines often considered for 727
reengining).  How did they do it?  While we're on the subject, the
Valsan reengining with JT8D-209s works quite well.

I think there is another ingredient to what killed the 727.  A 727-300
was offered in the mid-1970s.  It would have had stretched fuselage,
JT8D-200 engines, a modified wing and four wheel leg landing gear.
United showed interest, but in the end declined to order it.  This led
Boeing to develop an all new aircraft, which became the 757.