Re: Good 'ole 727

Date:         18 Jan 2000 05:24:27
From:         westin*nospam@graphics.cornell.edu (Stephen H. Westin)

jwizardc@aol.com (JWizardC) writes:

> >They stopped producing it because they weren't getting enough orders to
> >justify keeping the production line open.  The orders had dried up due
> >to the 757, which could carry more payload further for less money.
>
> I heard a different rumor...I heard that the 727 was nixed because it was
> choking 757 sales.

Well, we've gotten a different story from someone who was inside
Boeing at the time. I recall that AA was eager to re-engine all their
727's with dual high-bypass engines, but Boeing convinced them that it
wasn't worth the trouble. I suspect that AA saw some of the data about
wing wake ingestion and such. So they bought MD-80's to replace the
727's.

What's clear is that the 757 missed the mark as a 727 replacement,
giving an opportunity to the MD-80 and A320 series.

--
-Stephen H. Westin