Re: Cabin Depressurization

Date:         08 Jan 2000 13:39:08
From:         james matthew weber <jmweber@goodnet.com>

Ben Wright wrote:
> I've often wondered if perhaps decompressing the aircraft to put out a fire,
> starving the fire of oxygen, would work?
> The passengers using the masks for a while.
> Could even open the the front and back doors while unpressurised to clear
> the atmosphere :-)

Indirectly it does. Virtually every inflight fire that was survived
(such as the AC D9) gets much much worse AFTER the aircraft lands.
Passengers are far more likely to die in the fire on the ground, than in
the air! Cargo compartments are often almost sealed, and in these fires
tend to smolder unless there is an oxygen supply (as as the case for
Valujet).  The fire usually takes off once the cargo door is open, and
it gets a good supply of oxidizer to work with...

--
James Matthew Weber   (623) 587 7514 .  Fax  (623) 434 7598