Re: Strange 707 at Burbank

Date:         06 Jan 2000 01:25:59
From:         "M. Kranz" <matt_kranz@yahoo.com>

Tim Pearson <tpearson@procrustes.com> wrote:
[snip]
> I've always been curious about the operation and rigging of these
> DC-8 noise attenuators.  It's never been clear to me whether they
> were manually operated or automatic...

I can't tell you from first-hand experience, but I have seen a United
DC-8-55 panel diagram which depicted switches to control the ejector
position, as well as ejector position lights. Now, whether the switches were
labled "RET/EXT" or "AUTO/EXT" or what have you, I don't remember. But they
certainly were controlled by the crew. I would guess that at the least, the
ejectors extend when reverse thrust is selected, since the reverser buckets
are integral to the ejectors.
--Matt

--
Matt Kranz  /// Houston, Texas