Re: What did I see this time at LAS?

Date:         31 Mar 2000 22:25:36
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)

>Wednesday, Feb. 23, 2000 at 5:15PM I saw what
>appeared to be an IL-62 at Las Vegas airport, but
>I'm not sure.  Is there anything else with a
>similar configuration?  It looked like a stretched
>DC-9 with four engines in the rear.  It was
>painted grey, with no markings I could make out.

The British VC-10 is virtually identical, and the Lockheed Jetstar is a
biz-jet with the same engine config though of course much smaller.  All
of the Il-62 I've seen in the US have been white with blue stripes --
the standard Aeroflot scheme -- but I've seen RAF VC-10s which are grey
with minimal markings at Albuquerque, so I'd guess you saw a VC-10.

>Isn't that kind of noisy jet illegal these days?

Not if you're the guys with the guns and the bombs! :-)  Stage III rules
only apply to civilian aircraft.

  - Andrew A. Rooney