Re: Cabin Depressurization

Date:         03 Mar 2000 23:25:47
From:         rdd@netcom.com (Robert Dorsett)

Chris Dahler <no@spam.net> wrote:
>I don't know about British rules compared to FAA rules.  I can say that in
>everyday practice, the reality is that very few crewmembers will actually
>put the mask on when the other pilot heads to the restroom.  Unless, of
>course, the FAA is on board!

Goes to the professionalism of the airline and the example set by the captain.
Those that don't enforce this border on professional (if not criminal)
incompetence.

When I was a child and teenager, I accumulated ~600 jumpseat hours on a
variety of aircraft on a foreign, third-world carrier.  I was always
impressed by the professionalism of the crews, particularly in this regard.

>The action of grabbing the mask and putting it on really takes no more than
>2 or 3 seconds.

After problem identification.  By that point, you could well be out.

R.

rdd@netcom.com                         aero-simulation@cactus.org

           "Bother," said Pooh when his engine quit on take-off.