Re: 747 fuel consumption

Date:         03 Mar 2000 23:25:39
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)

>tell me the fuel consumption of a 747 on the Chicago-Narita run? Just fuel
>burn per hour would be great, but actual fuel consumption block to block
>would be even better!

Hopefully someone will give you better numbers, but a few years ago I
flew LAX-LHR aboard a 747-238B.  The pilots posted the following info:

   762,710 lbs takeoff weight
   257,400 lbs of fuel (48,418 US gallons)

Block time was about 9.5 hours, so if we landed with about 10% reserves
(probably high) then we burned about 24,385 lbs or 4,587 gallons of fuel
per hour.  ORD-NRT would be a 747-400, which is significantly more fuel-
efficient, so treat that as an upper bound.

  - Andrew A. Rooney