Re: Cabin Depressurization

Date:         10 Feb 2000 05:03:36
From:         glpilotsrv@aol.com (GLPILOTSRV)

In article <airliners.2000.40@ohare.Chicago.COM>, "Hugo 'NOx' Tyson" <hmt@cygnus.co.ukx> writes:
>I think you misunderstand partial pressure: the body is quite happy with
>100% O2 @ 0.21 Bar  or  50% O2 @ 0.42 Bar  or  21% O2 at 1 Bar  - it really
>makes no difference.

At my training at Andrews, the class viewed a video of tests on the
affects of sudden loss of pressurization.  A variety of drop down masks
were utilized in the tests. In none of the tests did the subject remain
conscious after donning the mask. The instructor explained that above
approximately 25,000 feet, the body will not absorb the oxygen unless it
is supplied under pressure. The video seem to back his assertion. He did
not, however, state how much pressure would be needed.

Garrr