Re: Cabin Depressurization

Date:         10 Feb 2000 05:03:35
From:         glpilotsrv@aol.com (GLPILOTSRV)

In article <airliners.2000.42@ohare.Chicago.COM>, wb8foz@panix.com (David Lesher) writes:
>) I sat in the jump seat on a long Pacific Rim 747-400 flight
>recently, and neither crew member was masked. I thought we were at
>350 but must check my notes.

When I replied to the posting, I was under the impression that FAR 121
rules regarding oxygen requirements were the same as the FAR 135 rules
I am more familiar with. I went to the FAA's website to check and it
appears that the FAR 121 rule is FL410. Sorry for any confusion. Here
is the FAR 135 source.

Sec. 135.89  Pilot requirements: Use of oxygen.

  (a) Unpressurized aircraft. Each pilot of an unpressurized aircraft shall
use oxygen continuously when flying--
  (1) At altitudes above 10,000 feet through 12,000 feet MSL for that part of
the flight at those altitudes that is of more than 30 minutes duration; and
  (2) Above 12,000 feet MSL.
  (b) Pressurized aircraft. (1) Whenever a pressurized aircraft is operated
with the cabin pressure altitude more than 10,000 feet MSL, each pilot shall
comply with paragraph (a) of this section.
  (2) Whenever a pressurized aircraft is operated at altitudes above 25,000
feet through 35,000 feet MSL, unless each pilot has an approved quick-donning
type oxygen mask--
  (i) At least one pilot at the controls shall wear, secured and sealed, an
oxygen mask that either supplies oxygen at all times or automatically
supplies oxygen whenever the cabin pressure altitude exceeds 12,000 feet MSL;
and
  (ii) During that flight, each other pilot on flight deck duty shall have an
oxygen mask, connected to an oxygen supply, located so as to allow immediate
placing of the mask on the pilot's face sealed and secured for use.
  (3) Whenever a pressurized aircraft is operated at altitudes above 35,000
feet MSL, at least one pilot at the controls shall wear, secured and sealed,
an oxygen mask required by paragraph (b)(2)(i) of this section.
  (4) If one pilot leaves a pilot duty station of an aircraft when operating
at altitudes above 25,000 feet MSL, the remaining pilot at the controls shall
put on and use an approved oxygen mask until the other pilot returns to the
pilot duty station of the aircraft.

Garrr