Re: Cabin Depressurization

Date:         10 Feb 2000 05:03:33
From:         Pete Finlay <Pete@zzzmeads.demon.co.uk>

In article <airliners.2000.45@ohare.Chicago.COM>, Peter Coe
<pete@speedpick.com> writes
>glpilotsrv@aol.com (GLPILOTSRV) writes:
>>This is the reason that above 25,000 feet, if one crew member leaves the
>>flight deck, the remaining crew member is required to use supplemental
>>oxygen. Above 35,000 feet, regardless of number of crew members on the
>>flight deck, one crew member must utilize supplemental oxygen.
>
>I presume this is an FAA rule.  I have been in the cockpit a number of times
>on British registered aircraft when the plane and crew have met either or
>both these criteria, and have never seen the oxygen mask in use.  In fact
>I have never seen it available - i.e. sitting next to the seat which makes
>me wonder just how quickly it could be put on.

It is a FAA rule. Doesn't apply as far as the CAA are concerned. We
*only* ever use the masks for things like smoke in the flight deck or
cabin, or if we depressurize, not as a matter of routine. On a
commercial aircraft under CAA rules, there must be a mask available for
every seat in the flight deck. They are nearly always quick-donning
masks, and we can put them on in seconds. On Concorde, you have to be
able to demonstrate that you can put the mask on (from a standing
start!), breathe and talk within 11 seconds. 747 Classic masks are
usually able to be put on a bit quicker because they are not pressure
breathing masks, which Concorde's are.

When you sat on the flight deck, the masks were there, they just
probably didn't point them out to you. I think that they should have
done so. I know we point out the masks if we have anyone sitting on the
flight deck.
--
Pete Finlay