Re: Boeing naming convention for 777

Date:         04 Sep 99 11:38:42
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)

>As I understand it, the PW4074
>and 4077 are the same, but the FADEC for the 4074 limits the fuel flow and
>there are probably slightly different stator vane schedules to limit
>airflow, as well.  I'm not sure how different the 4084 and 4090 are ...

If by PW4077 you mean the engine used on United's sixteen original
(non-ER) 777s, it's a PW4084 run at lower thrust -- I checked out the
model / serial number plate on one of them after seeing a number of
debates over the matter.  The PW4090 (also used by United, on the
777-200(ER)) is different, though all AW&ST's Source Book reveals is
a higher dry weight (15,740 lbs vs 14,995 lbs) and higher pressure
ratio.

  - Andrew A. Rooney