Re: Bygone era of information available to passengers...

Date:         01 Feb 99 02:37:00
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)

>Is anyone familar with Part 121 operations that still feature/allow cockit
>video on takeoff/landing and is any carrier offering audio channels in the
>cabin that include ATC frequencies.

Most or all of United's audio-equipped aircraft are wired for "Cockpit
Communications" on one of the audio channels, usually channel 9 but it's
14 on the 747-400s and was channel 8 on the DC-8s.  This is wired to the
observer's headset and thus gets whatever that's tuned to, usually ATC
but occasionally something odd, or a regular broadcast station if there
is some big sporting event going on.  The captain may elect to turn this
off; I've found that they'll either have it on or enable it if requested
about two-thirds of the time.

I'm not aware of any other carrier which has this these days.

  - Andrew A. Rooney