Re: 50 years of jet aircraft

Date:         27 Aug 99 03:08:35
From:         Marc Schaeffer <marcmscX@cmdnet.lu>

spagiola@my-deja.com wrote:
> Yep. Unfortunately, the Comet itself didn't quite make it to its 50th
> birthday, the last operational one having been retired early this year.

Stefano may I correct you, the last revenue earning flight was on 09-Nov-80
with G-BDIW. The last ferry flight was that of G-BDIT on 08-Jun-81. The
last active Comet XS235 Canopus flew for the RAF last on 14-Mar-97, it was
ferried on 30-Oct-97 to Bruntingthorpe and each month taxi runs are made to
keep the old lady in shape. Sound files of the RR Avons and pictures of
this last semi-active Comet are on http://surf.to/comet

> Shame they couldn't keep her going just a little longer.

I agree to this ...

> Unless you count the Nimrods as Comets, that is.

Well kind of as the roots are from the Comet.

--
Marc Schaeffer ---- Luxembourg ---- mailto:marcmsc@cmdnet.lu
The   DE HAVILLAND COMET website:       http://surf.to/comet