Re: Singapore Airlines The A340 vs 777 saga continues

Date:         27 Aug 99 03:08:27
From:         malc@cwix.com (Malcolm Weir)

On 07 Aug 99 01:22:38 , "Tim Lee" <tim.j.lee@btinternet.com> caused to
appear as if it was written:

>>>The 747 is a quick aircraft, but I doubt this is true for the 777, which
>>>has a stated cruise of 30kts less than A340.
>>
>>747    Mach .85
>>777    Mach .84
>>A340 Mach .82, but it has to go slower for the long range.
>
>Since I wrote this, I checked up.  Compare the BA flight time LHR-LAX by 744
>with the VS time on the same route (340).

Sorry, Tim, but the airlines pad their flight times a bit, making objective
comparisons difficult.

BA, VS, and NZ all use B744s on that route, and have published times of
11:00, 11:10, and 11:20.

Compare instead LHR-LAX on VS7 compared with VS23.  The former is a B744,
the latter an A340, and the published time is 25 minutes longer for the
A340. (11:35 vs. 11:10).

To round out the numbers, UA's B777s do the trip in 11:10, and AA's B767
lumbers in just slower than the A340 at 11:40.

Malc.