Re: Concorde's Engines

Date:         27 Aug 99 03:08:06
From:         felton@Princeton.EDU (Phil. G. Felton)

david@theguests.prestel.co.uk (David W Guest) wrote:

> The Vulcan did not go out of service until the mid 80's - their first
> active service was the Falklands War. The nuclear deterent task was
> relinquished a long time ago (late 60's?) when the submarines took
> over. I think Vulcans had a nuclear capability until they were
> retired.

Yes, I recall doing a consultancy job on an RAF base in England and
seeing Vulcans distributed around the airfield.  At a certain time they
started up their engines but stayed on the ground, I was told that it
was part of the readiness procedure (the UK only had a 4 minute warning
time).  This would be early 80's.

Phil.

> It's not right to compare the Vulcan and B52 'cos the mission
> requirements were very different but I will never forget a Mildenhall
> display at which both appeared. The B52 was almost out of site as it
> did it's fly-by's and turns and I think the Vulcan probably didn't
> leave the airfield perimeter except for landing (and then not by
> much!). The Vulcan was an amazing aircraft to see displayed "hard".

I'll never forget seeing one fly up a valley in mid-Wales, I was on top of
the hill and the Vulcan was below me!  The noise as it powered up out of
the end of the valley was most impressive.