Re: Thrust/Horsepower of modern engines

Date:         27 Aug 99 03:08:04
From:         Ken Ishiguro <kenish@earthlink.net>

Don Stauffer wrote:
> I am working on a book on internal combustion engines ( I am including
> turbines as ICs).  I have a chapter of comparisons of modern engines for
> various applications.  Horsepower figures into many of the comparisons.
> I wish to use thrust horsepower (thrust times velocity) for the
> turbojets/turbofans.

Seems to me thrust * velocity will only provide an approximate figure.
Useful horsepower is extracted for generators, bleed air, etc. and never
makes it out the exhaust stream.

The internal combustion analog would be crankshaft horsepower versus
dyno horsepower (applied to the driving axle).

Ken Ishiguro