Re: Thrust/Horsepower of modern engines

Date:         27 Aug 99 03:08:01
From:         curta@iac.net (Curt Austin)

In article <airliners.1999.854@ohare.Chicago.COM>, Don Stauffer
<stauffer@gte.net> wrote:

> I am working on a book on internal combustion engines ( I am including
> turbines as ICs).  I have a chapter of comparisons of modern engines for
> various applications.  Horsepower figures into many of the comparisons.
> I wish to use thrust horsepower (thrust times velocity) for the
> turbojets/turbofans.
>
> Can I use max thrust and cruise velocity together?  That is, can modern
> turbofans develop max thrust at normal cruise speeds?

The thrust at cruise is much much lower than at takeoff conditions.

A rough guide to the power of an aircraft engine comes from considering
how much power the turboprop/helicopter or marine/industrial versions of
the same engine can develop. I think this is often about the same
horsepower as the takeoff thrust in pounds. Hopefully, someone with this
data can respond with better numbers.

Curt Austin, Cincinnati
http://www.austinimage.com/    http://www.flyingbytes.com/