Re: FEDEX or UPS cockpit fight

Date:         27 Aug 99 03:07:50
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)

>My brother related a story he had heard on the news about a month or two
>ago.  He said that during a FEDEX or UPS flight a person occupying the
>jumpseat went nuts and attacked the pilot/copilot with a hammer.

That would be FM 705, a DC-10-30F flying MEM-SJC on 7 April 1994.  Off-
duty second officer Auburn Calloway boarded the aircraft with two claw
hammers, two sledgenammers, a spear gun with spear, and a hunting knife,
and proceeded to use as many of them as he could against the flight
crew.

>I tryed the NTSB database for any occurence but found nothing.

The NTSB entry can be found at

   http://www.ntsb.gov/aviation/ATL/94A077.htm

but it just says "go ask the FBI" and a search of http://www.fbi.gov/
turned up nothing of interest.  However, there's a synopsis at

   http://www.airsafe.com/journal/issue4.htm#hammer

and a more complete description as part of Calloway's appeal can be
found at

   http://www.law.emory.edu/6circuit/june97/97a0184p.06.html

There's also a radio transcript, which only provides a small glimpse of
what was going on, at

   http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Launchpad/2970/FDX705.HTML

Finally, Dave Hirschman wrote a book about the incident entitled
"Hijacked: The True Story of the Heroes of Flight 705."

  - Andrew A. Rooney