Re: WN 737 landing lights

Date:         27 Aug 99 03:07:45
From:         "Barry Kabello" <bkabello@gte.net>

boeing707 <boeing707@bellsouth.net> wrote in message <airliners.1999.874@ohare.Chicago.COM> ...
> I work for USAirways in FLL. Recently, I have seen Southwest 737
> (models -300/-500 and the -700) landing lights blinking on and off
> during their approach. Have only seen it on Southwest.
> The entire set of landing lights on the wings alternately blink on and
> off. Then when the airplane nears the inner marker, the blinking stops
> and the lights are on steadily.
> I have also seen this on a few Falcon 30's and Lears, but WN is the
> only airline I've seen this on.
> Can anybody give me the story on the blinking landing lights?
> And, doesnt it lower the life of the lamp?

I've seen the same thing on Southwest 737s approaching Dallas Love...but
not all of them?

Around here, perhaps it helps separate Love traffic from DFW traffic
when the airspace starts to get tight?

I'm curious to hear an explanation too...

And while we're on the subject of landing lights:  I very often see
airliners approaching DFW with varying combinations of their landing
lights on or off.  Is this to help the control tower get a visual on a
specific aircraft?  Or is it simply burned out landing lights on these
planes?

Thanks,
Barry
Dallas, TX