Re: Concorde's Engines

Date:         07 Aug 99 01:23:03
From:         westin*nospam@graphics.cornell.edu (Stephen H. Westin)

Steve Lacker <no@spam.thanks> writes:

> Pete Finlay wrote:
> > The main nuclear deterrent from the 1950s to the 1966 was the Avro
> > Vulcan, which was a missile platform.
>
> Did the Vulcans actually go out of service THAT long ago?

I don't think so. Wasn't the Vulcan the heavy bomber of choice in the
Falklands back in '82? As I recall, each had to convoy with about 10
tankers to achieve the needed range from Ascension...

Ah, the Solway Aviation Museum
(<http://www.instinct-training.co.uk/ti/car/solavmus.htm>) seems to
have a Vulcan used in the Falklands, flown to the museum for
retirement in '83.

And from the Vulcan Index, at
<http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/mongsoft/faq.htm>, "The last
operational Vulcan squadron was 50 sqn based at Waddington. They
disbanded on the 31st of March 1984. The aircraft they used were sold
to museums or sent to the fire dump."

The story of the Falklands missions is at
<http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/mongsoft/bbuck.htm>

--
-Stephen H. Westin